Thursday, May 1, 2014

Me and Movies


When I watch a movie I focus on it. When the lights go down and I hit the "play" button, the isolation panels go up. I don't want interruptions of any kind. If the doorbell rings I will probably reluctantly answer it, but that's only because I know whoever out there can hear my movie and knows I'm home.  If the phone rings, however, it's another matter entirely. When I was married I would usually answer the phone because I would be expected to, but inside I would have annoyance or anger. "Who the hell is bothering me with a stupid phone call? Can't they see I'm in the middle of a movie?" Of course they can't.  That wouldn't stop me from clenching my teeth about it when it would happen.  During my single years I hardly ever answer the phone when it rings during a movie. For these reasons, really prefer watching a movie in a theater. In that setting, you're forced to turn off all interruptions like phones before the movie starts. That's the way movies should be watched.

I like lots of different kinds of movies. Although I do like your typical "guy" movies, I also like deep, emotional movies. Actually, they tend to be the ones that I dread interruptions the most while they are playing because the movie will have me by my interest and my emotions. I may be into the movie on a much deeper level than usual, which is already considerably captivated. I like many, many types of movies. My taste in them runs quite the range. I think my favorites are the "surprise hits" I never heard about. The ones I had no idea of how good they might be or sometimes not even knowing a lot of what they were about. I like the ones that get me misty-eyed from feeling, the ones that make my palms sweat from drama, and the ones that make my heart race from action. Movies I don't like? I don't like to see gore. I also don't like movies that are too centered on one character or scene, like those that could easily be performed as a play on stage. I don't like bad acting. There are too many really, really good actors out there--many who have yet to be discovered even--for a director to subject their audiences to substandard performances from people that should never have gotten the job. There are famous actors that I can't stand, and unknown actors that I've watched and loved. There are actors that used to be good but should have retired at the top of their game, and actors that have steadily gotten better with each role they have undertaken.

To me, movies are an escape and an artful expression. They are a chance to witness a story told and expressed the way someone else perceived it. Movies are especially riveting to people that don't have very good imaginations. Yes, like me. Although well-written books are the best way to make the imagination run wild, movies are great for one reason: They are a crash course of storytelling. They are a full-throttle, nonstop conglomeration of sensory input that crams an epic story into your mind, complete with sights, smells, and emotions. I like old movies and new movies, simple and complex, amazing and ordinary, laughing or crying. They are an art form that I can escape into for a couple of hours. I treasure those hours.

No comments: