Sunday, March 13, 2016

Admiration

People I admire are unafraid. They proudly wear unnaturally-colored hair, have tattoos, and let their imaginations run wild. They are positive, unpredictable, and they recycle because they want to. They are equally at home in the city or the country. They know what's going on behind my eyes, know what to say at the right time, and can make me laugh when I need it. They love music, and might play piano, a cello, or an acoustic guitar. They appreciate simplicity and shun the "new and improved." They may not have one of their own, but they love animals. They have many stories to tell, and they know when to tell them and when not to. They are social, and yet they appreciate solitude. They are happy with themselves and won't ridicule someone else.

This is just a list I started jotting down one time for fun. Some of these are traits I possess, and others are not. Many times I find myself oddly jealous of other people that have different personalities than I do, then tell myself I have talents they do not have, know things they do not know, carry memories they have not shared, and have had a lifetime of different experiences than the ones they have had. I may not actually admire the person, but maybe I admire something they are able to do, or something they've accomplished.

Maybe they actually admire something about me.

No comments: