Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lone Survivor

As an avid reader and movie-watcher, some of my favorite tales are those that take place in a post-apocalyptic world. I have romanced the notion of my being one of the last people on earth many times. Although I know I'm carrying my love for solitude to the extreme, it seems to be an exciting combination of personal survival and abandoning societal rules and standards. Becoming nomadic out of necessity, moving through empty towns that were once bursting with human activity, gathering what I need to add to my hoard to ensure my survival. I think I would like the notion of being able to wear no clothing as I existed as a lonely wanderer.

There are plenty of flaws in such a dream, and I know that any world that rises up and casts mankind from its shadow would be no less hostile to me--it's lone survivor. Maybe even more so. Still, it's an interesting fantasy, albeit one of loneliness, hunger, danger, and fear. Maybe what I need is something in my life to just mix things up. A drastic change perhaps. Realistically, I think I would like to live somewhere in a desert situation, like southern Utah or northern Arizona for example. Off the grid so to speak.

To have myself be far enough from everywhere that I could escape the traps of man--the things that we have brought upon ourselves. We've painted ourselves into a corner we can't get out of. We've escalated our needs and wants to an unhealthy level. We are so busy just keeping upright on the treadmill we've created that we don't know how to get off. Everyone walks around with their face cast downward, eyes glued to their little electronic umbilical cord, not realizing that we've given our freedom away little by little. Incrementally, our love for all things electronic has placed us in a rut. We unknowingly embraced a digital world that is tailor-made for eavesdropping, information-gathering, and identity-stealing. One of these days the collective population will wonder how we could have let this happen. I know how it happened, it's simple: because it was fun. It was new and exciting. To be so plugged in to the rest of the world was amazing! Little by little we have gotten to the point that we are announcing every single thing we do all day long to the rest of the world. Yeah, it would be nice to unplug and regress back away from society and just spend my time unclothed and unencumbered.

No comments: