Monday, September 22, 2014

Artsy Movie

While I have always been an huge lover of movies, I find myself lately choosing and watching them with a different attitude than I used to have.  Instead of choosing a movie based on preconceived notions of what I was expecting to see or happen in it (like choosing a movie because I know it has action or naked women in it), I find myself choosing or watching them with more of an open mind, examining them.  I find myself looking at them from an art perspective.  I think I'm analyzing them on the fly, and noting nuances that I find appealing.  I end up falling in love with a particular scene, perfect music choice, creative camera angle, unusual story line, or any number of things that may stand out while I'm watching it. I also am becoming more emotional during movies.

Recently, I watched Bagdad Cafe.  I have seen it once before but only recently acquired it for myself.  The movie was put together with a high degree of art-inspired cinematography.  It is full of great camera angles, and lots of scenes that were shot purposefully over-saturated for a particular feeling.  What tied the whole movie together for me was the song that played throughout the movie: I'm Calling You, by Jevetta Steele.  The feel of the song was perfect for the movie.  You can picture the dusty motel/cafe out in the middle of the desert while you're listening to the song.  It just oozes loneliness.

Throughout the movie there is a boy that is constantly playing Bach on a piano.  He plays it in a particularly dry, monotonous manner--like someone that is practicing their scales over and over.  In one scene, Jasmin, the main character enters the diner, and the boy stops playing--remembering his mother always telling him to stop playing when a guest comes into the diner.  The woman tells him to please keep playing.  The boy smiles slowly and begins playing, and she sits nearby him with her eyes closed.  The transformation of the music in that scene is almost spiritual.  It completely changes into something that is melodic and beautiful, and makes another truly great scene.

This is a movie that people will either love or hate.  It has enough oddball stuff in it that it will have the superficial, action movie lovers wondering,  "What the hell kind of movie is this?"  I can't say I love every scene in the movie either.  What I can say is I love the movie overall. 

No comments: